A MAN who suffered immense physical and psychological pain due to a number of health complications died of a heroin overdose, an act his mother believed was deliberate.

An inquest held in Blackburn into the death of Malachi Davis, heard that the 35-year-old had been found collapsed in a multi-occupancy dwelling in St Peter Street, Blackburn, on August 9.

Coroner Richard Taylor told the inquest that Mr Davis, who suffered from severe and painful eczema that left gaping holes in his skin, had been stuck in a self-perpetuating vicious circle due to a history of mental health problems, which were exacerbated by an addiction to illicit drugs that he used to block out the voices in his head.

Mr Taylor said: “He was fed up and frustrated about his eczema, and had presented himself to hospital on two occasions to be sectioned but wasn’t detained for very long as he had capacity to make his own decisions.

“He was on methadone and other prescription medication but came off the methadone because he believed it made his eczema worse.

“This in itself became a problem because then he turned to cocaine to block out the pain.

“Because of the issues he had, his doctor tried to attack the illicit drug misuse, which really was the root of the problem.

“If that was resolved then his mental health issues could then be dealt with.”

Consultant psychiatrist, Ahmed Nazir, who had spoken with Mr Davis on many occasions, said they had tried to formulate a plan so he could see a future for himself.

Giving evidence at the inquest, Dr Nazir said: “We had a plan to treat his mental health issues, which involved him staying off illicit drugs so the prescription medication could work. And he was content with that, but he struggled to stick to it.”

A statement from his mother said: “He suffered a lot.

“On a regular basis would hear his father’s voice in his head telling him to take his own life.

“He had mental health support workers, and had large open wounds on his body that caused him stress and pain that couldn’t be relieved.

“In the months before his death he’d been admitted to hospital with breathing problems and pneumonia.

“He hadn’t been enjoying life and had been very depressed.

“He’d been an in-patient on a mental health ward but was never sectioned and kept being discharged.

“He’d taken an overdose in June, and had given up on ever going back to receive drug support.

“Malachi said he had nothing to live for and would often make threats to end his own life, saying he’d take an overdose in the same hostel he was found dead in.

“He couldn’t shower properly because of his skin, and he believed he’s been let down by the services.

“He’d been staying with me for some time but I believe he went back to the hostel to kill himself.”

A toxicology examination found there to be morphine, heroin, diazepam, pregabalin and cocaine in his system, but a medical cause of death was offered as heroin toxicity.

Mr Taylor said: “He had openly admitted he didn’t want to live anymore, and it was clearly his intention to end his life, so I record a conclusion of suicide.”