Residents had to be evacuated and a young woman was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a block of flats.

Fire crews from Blackburn were sent to the Blackburn with Darwen Foyer Flats on Princes Street at around 8.30pm on Thursday, following reports of a fire in a second floor flat.

Initially, crews believed there to be no-one in the unit, but on arrival, a resident informed firefighters a woman was still inside.

Lancashire Telegraph:

A fire service spokesperson said: "The residents were evacuated to a muster point inside the building and a 22-year-old woman was found in the corridor.

"She was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation, but did not require a trip to hospital.

"The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen and the flat was heavily smoke logged but no extensive damage was done.

"Luckily all the fire systems in the building were working properly."

Crews were in attendance for around three hours and an investigation is now underway.