HERE is Munn’s corner in St James’s Street, Burnley, pictured in 1896.

It took its name from the premises there of Robert Munn’s chemist’s and druggists shop in the picture.

Mr Munn was also registrar of births, marriages and deaths.

Soon after this picture is taken, he took up those duties on nearby Nicholas Street where the town’s register office was based.

The office is now based in Todmorden Street.

Next door to his shop in St James’s Street is Charles Henry Webster’s pawnbrokers, while further up the street, with its sign advertising ales and beds is Mrs M.J.Cryer’s eating house - located roughly opposite the junction with Parker Lane. After sampling a few ales many customers would be ready for 40 winks.