A MAN who went to Towneley Park in Burnley to walk his dog ended up involved in a "horrific" incident.

Blackburn magistrates heard the victim went to help a crying female and ended up being confronted by a man wielding a metal steering lock which was used to smash his rear windscreen.

After contacting the police he followed the other man as he drove away and there was a further incident when Naeem Ghulam Mustafa got out of his car, again armed with the steering lock.

Mustafa, 43, of St Paul's Road, Nelson, pleaded guilty to affray, possessing an offensive weapon and criminal damage to a Volvo car belonging to Joseph Entwistle in April.

He also pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified and with excess alcohol in February and driving with excess alcohol and failing to stop in May. He was sentenced to 24 weeks in prison suspended for 18 months with requirements to complete the Thinking Skills , programme, 20 days of rehabilitation and 150 hours' unpaid work. He was banned from driving for three years with a requirement that he passes a new test at the conclusion of the ban. He was also ordered to pay £2,000 compensation to Mr Entwistle.

Sazeeda Ismeil, prosecuting, said Mr Entwistle had driven to Towneley Park with his mum to take the dog for a walk. He had parked his car and then saw a girl slumped over the bridge in tears.

"He asked the driver of an Audi, the defendant, if he knew the girl and if she was alright," said Miss Ismeil.

"The defendant flew out of his car and started shouting, demanding what it had to do with Mr Entwistle."

Mustafa returned to his car and then came back armed with the metal steering lock.

He struck the bonnet of Mr Entwistle's car and smashed his rear window as he drove to the other end of the car park and called the police.

Mustafa drove off and Mr Entwistle followed. When the defendant stopped his car and got out armed with the steering lock again Mr Entwistle tried to drive off but collided with the other man as he did. He saw the other man get up and then drove off.

"He described it as a horrific incident," said Miss Ismeil.

"All he wanted to do was make sure the female was OK and he never anticipated this level of violence."

In a victim impact statement Mr Entwistle said he had been going to Towneley Park with his family for 30 years. He said since the incident he had been having nightmares about his car being smashed up while he was driving.

John Rusius, defending, said Mustafa accepted he had gone "out of control" and turned to alcohol during a period of his life when he experienced numerous difficulties.

He said the female who was crying was the niece of a friend, who was also present, and there was an altercation between them which was nothing to do with him.

Mustafa claimed a member of the public came over and asked what was going on and his dog became aggressive.

"He says the other man drove at him and he smashed the window before driving off," said Mr Rusius.

"He drove away but the other man followed. He says when he got out the other man drove at him and knocked him over. He says he didn't start it and the other man and his dog were very aggressive."

Mr Rusius said that since the incidents Mustafa had tried to change his life and move forward.

"It would be a shame if all the good work he has done was undone by him being sent to prison," said Mr Rusius.