HERE is a great view of Burnley town centre taken in the 1950s.

It's looking from Yorkshire Street into St James' Street.

The white building in the background is that of Burton's tailor's which superceded the Bull hotel on the site.

At the right is the Palace-Hippodrome Theatre which opened in December, 1907.

It cost £13,000, or £1.53million in today's money, to build and seated 2,000 people, it serves up revues, variety shows, concerts, films and bingo before it was bulldozed in 1974.

The letters HG and CW on the number plates of the vehicles in the picture identify them as having been registered in Burnley.

This area was subject to a £3.95million pedestrianisation in 2017.

The work was set to be done by spring 2018, however contractors finished the work ahead of schedule.