THREE people were rescued from a flat fire in Accrington yesterday morning.

More than 30 firefighters were called to the flats at Gladstone Heights on Eagle Street just after 6am.

The fire involved a three-storey building and the blaze had spread to the roof.

Incident commander and station manager Chris Waring said: “We have been dealing with a fire involving a flat. 

“At its height six crews in total were dealing with it.

“It is in some assisted living flats behind the Gladstone Heights apartments.

“It is run by a separate company to Gladstone called Creative Support.

“We used an aerial platform and had some firefighters with breathing apparatus putting it out.

“There were no people injured but we helped three people to get out.

“The majority of people got out because the fire alarm system kicked in.

“At this stage, the incident is being left with the police and a joint investigation into the cause of the fire is taking place."

LIVE UPDATES: 3 people rescued from house fire in Accrington

@LFRS_DRONE helping out at 6 pump fire in Accrington this morning, incident now under control and being scaled back but local road closures still in place, thanks for your patience if you're stuck in it. @LancashireFRS @Lancs_FireDCFO

Police set up a cordon on Eagle Street — from the top of the road at Tesco down to the junction of Blackburn Road.

Neighbouring Birch Street was also closed until the afternoon as the aerial ladder platform was used to deal with the incident.

All people were accounted for at approximately 7.15am and the casualties were assessed by paramedics at the scene of the blaze.

A spokesman for Creative Support said: “The accommodation at Gladstone Heights on Eagle Street in Accrington is 10 single occupancy flats. 

“Following a fire in one of the flats in the early hours of this morning all residents were safely evacuated. 

“The fire service was on the scene very quickly and have been extremely professional and supportive. 

“They are currently at the scene assessing the extent of the damage.” 

Three fire engines remained at the scene yesterday morning before being scaled back and the cordon lifted. 

It was hoped the people living in the flats would be allowed back in their homes yesterday.

Mr Waring added: “It could have been much worse but the actions from the crews managed to stop it spreading in the roof.

“It was confined to the one flat. 

"There was some smoke damage in the neighbouring properties.”