The fire service have issued a warning to people using log burners and coal fires this winter after a fire broke out in a house.

Crews from Rawtenstall and Nelson attended the fire in the bedroom of a property in Gorrell Close in Newchurch-in-Pendle at around 1.30pm on Monday.

On arrival they found that the occupants of the property had been using a log burner in their living room.

Firefighters believe the flue from the log burner had become blocked which had resulted in the piping behind the walls overheating and setting alight.

The fire then broke out in an upstairs bedroom which has been very badly damaged.

Firefighter Shaun Fallows said: "We would ask anyone who has a log burner or is using a chimney fire to be vigilant at this time of year.

"From time to time the flues and chimneys can become blocked so we would urge people to get them checked and swept before lighting a fire in their home, and to ensure smoke alarms are fitted and working."