TWO of Blackburn's most prolific offenders have been jailed again.

Blackburn magistrates heard Scott McKay and Kevin Duxbury were both appearing before the court for the second time since their release from their latest prison sentences.

And this time there were no second chances after they admitted breaking into a Chinese takeaway.

McKay, 42, of no fixed address, and Duxbury, 35, of the Salvation Army Hostel, Heaton Street, pleaded guilty to burglary at Master Fu's Cantonese Takeaway, Bolton Road, Blackburn on Saturday and theft of a point of sale card machine.

They were both jailed for 16 weeks and ordered to pay £122 victim surcharge on release.

Joanne Cronshaw, prosecuting, said McKay had 126 previous convictions for 282 offences and Duxbury 89 convictions for 172 offences. Both were before the court last week for theft offences and were dealt with by a fine.

Mrs Cronshaw said police were called to Master Fu's at 12.30am after a witness reported two men breaking into the takeaway. They were arrested nearby and Duxbury was found in possession of card reader. A stone had been used to smash a window which was covered in blood.

McKay told police he had committed the offence out of desperation. He said he had been recently been released from prison, had nowhere to live and would not receive any benefits for five weeks.

Aftab Bakhat, defending both men, said it wasn't a question of whether they were going to receive a prison sentence but of how long.

"They both accept that is the position," said Mr Bakhat.

"Scott McKay appeared in court last week and the magistrates were told he would prefer to go back to prison."

He said McKay had issues with alcohol and drugs and said he is never given any help when he is released from prison.

"In order to escape he drinks and takes drugs to try and forget his wretched life," said Mr Bakhat.

He said Duxbury was very much in the grip of an alcohol addiction.

"He is an intelligent man who can discuss his issues when he is sober," said Mr Bakhat.