A MAN who knocked his dad out with a golf club when he intervened in a family row also attacked his dementia-suffering mum.

Burnley Crown Court heard that at 11pm on May 20 drunken Kaylon Aaron Burrows had gone to his parents home, where he lived at the time with father Allen, mother Joyce and brother Myles.

Prosecuting, Emma Kehoe said a row developed between Burrows and Myles over Rizla papers and when Allen tried to intervene the defendant began to hit him around the head with his fists.

Ms Kehoe said: "Myles intervenes to stop the assault on his dad. The defendant then picks up a dining room chair and hits his dad with that."

The court heard that 54-year-old Mrs Burrows, who has recently suffered a stroke and has early onset dementia, was upstairs in bed at that point.

Ms Kehoe said: "The defendant then runs upstairs and dad and brother go after him. It transpires he's then punching his mum while she's lying in bed to her face and her chest.

"The defendant then gets a golf club, runs downstairs where his dad is and hits him over the back of the head with the golf club."

The court heard Burrows hit his father again with the golf club and Allen was led on the floor unconscious. Myles intervened again to stop the attack and pushed Burrows away.

Ms Kehoe said the house in Halifax Road, Brierfield, was fitted with a panic alarm and when it was pressed police quickly arrived.

When officers arrived and found Burrows covered in blood he became so aggressive they had to call for back up.

Ms Kehoe said as a result of the attack Allen had a v-shaped cut to top of his head, which had to be glued, and a broken hand as a result of a defensive mechanism of punching out to protect himself.

Mrs Burrows had bruising to her face and chest.

Burrows, of Garden Street, Nelson, pleading guilty to unlawful wounding and assault,

Defending, Isobel Thomas said her client was living in a derelict shop as a result of being bailed out of the area following the assault and his life was "chaotic".

She said the probation service were prepared to work with Burrows to address his alcohol and drug misuse and his mental health issues.

Ms Thomas said: "If he gets his drug and alcohol misuse under control and support with his mental health one would hope this situation will not happen again and he will not trouble the courts again."

Recorder Geoffrey Payne sentenced Burrows to two years imprisonment, suspended for two years, with 120 hours unpaid work and 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

He said: "This was a terrible, inexcusable disgraceful attack on your own parents which was made all the worse because it took place in their own home."