A BLACKBURN man died of heart failure after suffering a severe allergic reaction to intravenous dye ­— despite being injected with it twice before without issue.

Dennis Walsh, 70, of Dalby Crescent, was pronounced dead at Royal Blackburn Hospital on August 8.

On August 7, the pensioner attended the hospital as an outpatient for a follow-up CT scan after having surgery to try and remove a tumour in 2018, a Blackburn Town Hall inquest heard.

Before surgery, Mr Walsh was administered an intravenous contrast dye, which is injected into a vein to show surgeons the state of blood vessels and organs.

Giving evidence, consultant radiologist Duncan Ross Gavan said: “The contrast is part of a routine CT examination.

“In February, he went for another CT scan and went through the same procedure as in 2018, and had the same dye injected.

“It was reported that there was some disease and it was decided that a third CT scan should be carried out. The same contrast agent was used as the previous two CT scans, but this time he had a reaction to it.”

Mr Gavan told the inquest that any reaction to the contrast dye would usually be detected on the initial administration.

He also said that out of 50,000 people who are injected with the dye each year, only two or three will have a reaction, which is usually hives.

Mr Gavan added: “Mr Walsh suffered a severe anaphylactic reaction, which is recognised but extremely rare.”

Intensive care consultant, Dr Ian Crossingham, said Mr Walsh’s condition then began to deteriorate.

He said: “We did everything to stabilise him but the event put a massive strain on his heart, causing extensive damage, and he was struggling severely. In the early hours of the morning we could see he was dying, so removed any monitors and allowed him to pass away with as much dignity as possible.”

Dr Crossingham said he had never seen a reaction like this in all of his career.

He added: “This is the most severe case I can think of from 10 years doing intensive care treatment in Blackburn.”

Coroner Richard Taylor said: “His heart couldn’t handle what he was going through. In conclusion, Mr Walsh died due to complications following a recognised but rare reaction to contrast injected on August 7.”