AN INQUEST into the death of a 50-year-old grandmother concluded that she took her own life by hanging.

Vicky Walsh was found unconscious in her Rawtenstall home by her daughter, at around 11pm on July 29.

She died two days later in hospital.

An inquest at Blackburn Town Hall heard that on the evening of July 29, Mrs Walsh had been out drinking with her husband, Andrew, and a few friends.

Mr Walsh left early to go and look after their grandchildren – who the couple cared for full time – leaving his wife out with their friends.

Coroner Richard Taylor said: “Mr Walsh went to bed reasonably early but was woken up at around 11pm by his daughter, who told him Vicky had been found hanging.

“She was taken to the hospital but passed away two days later.”

The inquest heard that when Mrs Walsh was found and paramedics called, she was in cardiac arrest, deeply unconscious and unresponsive.

Doctors who treated her said the prolonged period of cardiac arrest and lack of oxygen had resulted in catastrophic injury to the brain which could not be restored.

She was pronounced dead at around 4pm on August 1.

Mr Taylor said a statement from Mrs Walsh’s GP mentioned nothing regarding any mental health problems and nothing in recent years about depression, anxiety or self harm.

He said: “However, she had suffered bereavement in 2015 when she lost her mother and her sister in the same year, which left a huge hole in her life.

“There were also difficulties with the care of the grandchildren which caused a lot of stress, looking after them all the time.”

Mr Walsh, who was present at the inquest, said that on the night in question his wife had seemed very happy when he left her to go back to their Musbury Crescent home at around 7pm.

Mr Taylor said: “You were woken by your daughter at around 11pm, and she had quite clearly hanged herself.

“You found it quite difficult to process or understand why your wife did what she did as no notes or messages were found.

“There isn’t any explanation for this and I can’t say what influenced her or turned her to it, but this is what appears to have happened and I will return a conclusion of suicide.”