A SELF-employed electrician from East Lancashire has been prosecuted by health and safety chiefs for carrying out unregistered gas work.

An investigation was launched by the Health and Safety Executive after concerns were raised about work carried out by Robert Parker at an unnamed house in Rossendale.

Parker carried out gas work between March and August 2017, as well as installing a boiler the following October, at a home - even though he was not Gas Safe registered.

Manchester magistrates heard the homeowners notified the HSE about installation defects, which gas inspectors found had created a risk and was not up to current standards.

The boiler was said to be immediately dangerous as there was no flue connected, the court heard.

Parker, from Burnley, pleaded guilty to offences under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations. He was given a 26-week prison, sentence, suspended for 12 months, and ordered to complete 150 hours community service with £2,298 costs.

Sharon Butler, a HSE inspector, said after the hearing: “All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.”