An 88-year-old man was rescued from a 'severe' house fire this morning.

Crews were called to the blaze on Haworth Street in Oswaldtwistle at around 10am.

The fire happened in the ground floor of the house and the pensioner was rescued from the kitchen.

After being rescued he was treated by paramedics at the scene and taken by ambulance to Royal Blackburn Hospital.

The fire caused severe fire and smoke damage to the house. 

The fire service said in a statement: "At 10am, three fire engines from Hyndburn and Blackburn attended a report of a building fire on Haworth Street, Oswaldtwistle.

"This was a fire in the ground floor of a domestic property. One casualty was rescued by fire crews who had also administered first aid.

"Fire crews extinguished the fire using six breathing apparatus and two hose reels.

"Fire crews also used ventilation units in the affected property and three adjacent properties to clear smoke."

An ambulance service spokesman said: "We sent one ambulance and a rapid response vehicle to the scene.

"A person was treated at the scene and they were conscious and breathing.

"They were then taken by ambulance to Royal Blackburn Hospital."