A DRUNKEN dad and son were arrested after causing trouble at a supermarket.

Blackburn magistrates heard Chris Costello senior was persuaded to calm down and leave but shortly after Chris Costello junior came in and started threatening staff.

Ad when a manager went out to see if they had left he was confronted by junior who produced a hammer from under his jacket.

Costello snr, 56, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour and was jailed for 12 weeks and ordered to pay £122 victim surcharge of release.

Costello jnr, 30, of Oak Street, Colne, pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour, possession of an offensive weapon, theft of a bottle of whiskey and assaulting an emergency worker. He was jailed for a total of 22 weeks after a suspended sentence was activated.

Tracy Yates, prosecuting, said Costello snr walked into Tesco Express just before 4 pm and started acting in a threatening way towards staff. He left after being calmed by manager Andrew Funnell and a few minutes later his son came in.

"He also started abusing and threatening staff and the police were called," said Mrs Yates. "The decision was made to close the store because it wasn't felt safe for staff or customers to remain open."

Outside the store Costello jnr produced the hammer and Mr Funnell said he felt scared for his own safety. As Costello jnr was being placed in the back of a police van he kicked out catching a police officer on the chest.

She said Costello snr had 172 previous convictions for 366 offences.

Costello jnr was made subject to a suspended prison sentence on July 31.

Nick Dearing, defending, said Costello snr had a personality disorder which was reflected in the large number of public order convictions.

"He is locked into a cycle of being released from prison, being homeless and then reoffending, leading to a return to prison," said Mr Dearing.

He said Costello jnr blamed drink for his offending.

"His partner says that when he is a decent and reliable man," said Mr Dearing.

"They were both incoherent by the time the police arrived."