FIREFIGHTERS are warning about the dangers of candles after a bedroom fire in Blackburn.

The incident took place on Winmarleigh Road at 11.34pm on Monday night.

Watch manager Chris Archer said: "The bedroom was destroyed by the fire and the rest of the flat was affected by smoke damage.

"We were out for two hours dealing with the incident.

"A man and his dog had been in the flat at the time but they managed to get out.

"We would urge anyone who is using candle to make sure they are on a flat surface before lighting them.

"Also if they are going out or going to sleep they should make sure that they are fully put out."