Firefighters have reminded people that smoke alarms save lives after attending an oven fire.

Crews from Blackburn were called to the incident in Fountains Avenue at around 3.20am on Monday.

They found a fire which had been contained to an oven in the kitchen. Four adults were evacuated from the property with a man taken to hospital for checks.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: “Something inside the oven has set fire.

“The fire was contained to the oven so there was no other damage to the rest of the kitchen.

“The family managed to get out of the house due to the fact they had a smoke alarm which had gone off.

“Smoke alarms really do save lives.”

The family were allowed back into the property after the fire was extinguished.