FIRE chiefs are warning residents about the dangers of tumble dryers after a fire in Accrington.

Crew manager Stuart Roxburgh is calling on people to check out the safety of their tumble dryers after one that was on national recall went on fire.

He said: "The tumble dryer was a Hotpoint one and it was also on a national recall over safety fears and the owners had not done anything about it,

"We would urge people to check out a national website and check if their one is on there and not to use it if it is on recall.

"There was smoke damage to the front room and the tumble dryer was destroyed.

"There were people in the property at the time but they managed to get out and no-one was hurt but it could have been so much worse.

"We would also tell people not to keep dryers on if they are out of the property in case it catches fire."

The incident took place on Devonshire Street in the town and fire crews were called at 10.21am.

Crews with breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put out the fire.

n Do you have a news story send an email to