A FORMER takeaway driver who took his sister’s car without asking and then crashed into another vehicle told her to take the blame.

Burnley Crown Court heard Nazia Noreen continued to lie to police even when they said they had dashcam footage of a man driving her black Vauxhall Astra away from the crash scene on August 5, last year.

Prosecuting, Stephen Parker said crash victim Carl Storer was driving his Peugeot along Windermere Road, Padiham, going towards the junction with Langdale Road, when it was hit at speed to the side by the Astra, with enough force to turn the vehicle 180 degrees and push it into a garden wall.

Mr Storer, whose partner was the front seat passenger at the time, was about to get out of his vehicle to speak to the other driver but the Astra left the scene.

Mr Parker said the crash wasn’t captured on CCTV but another motorist captured a man – who turned out to be Noreen’s brother Saqib Ali – driving away from the scene, as well as the registration of the Astra.

As a result of that police went to Noreen’s house on August 7 and posted through paperwork requiring her as the Astra’s registered keeper to provide details of who was driving to the police.

Mr Parker said as the police had received no response by August 16 they returned to Noreen’s house where they saw a black Astra parked outside with offside damage, consistent with being involved in the crash.

When police spoke to Noreen, who was the only person insured to drive the Astra, she denied having received the paperwork but said she had been driving.

Mr Parker said police explained to Noreen that they had footage of a man driving the vehicle at the time and that it would be a criminal offence to lie on the Section 172 paperwork.

On August 28 Noreen went to Burnley Police Station with the filled out paperwork, which stated she was the driver. She was arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of public justice.

Mr Parker said: “She began the interview saying she was the driver. She went onto say her brother had been driving the car, he had taken it without her knowing and because she hadn’t wanted him to get into trouble she completed the documents confirming she was the driver.”

It transpired Noreen had been at a wedding at the time of the crash.

Ali was subsequently arrested and told police he wanted his sister to take the points so he could keep his driving licence.

READ > Boy, 16, accused of murdering Lindsay Birbeck will face trial

He said he remembered hitting the car, panicking and driving off. He told police his sister was just trying to protect him and only realised the seriousness of what she had done when she had spoken to a solicitor.

Ali added: “I asked her to fill it in. I was being stupid and wasn’t thinking straight.”

Ali, 33, of Commercial Street, Brierfield, and Noreen, 40, of Barden Lane, Burnley, both pleaded guilty to doing an act tending to pervert the course of justice.

The court heard that the crown prosecution service had failed to issue court summons within the statutory period so Ali would not face any action over the crash and leaving the scene of an accident matter.

Defending Noreen, Matthew Haworth said his client was estranged from her husband and was the sole carer for five children and sending her to prison would have a massive impact on them.

Mr Haworth said: “She offered a guilty plea at the earliest opportunity in the crown court and has offered a level of genuine contrition of remorse.

“She carried out the offending out of fear for her brother and the repercussions he would face.”

Defending Ali, Neil Usher said his client is hardworking, now employed six days a week as a factory operative, and since the incident has had a baby daughter.

He said: “Mr Ali has genuine remorse. He understands the seriousness of what he did.”

Recorder Tom Gilbart said: “It is apparent from looking at both of you in the dock that you feel shame, and so you should.”

Ali was sentenced to six months imprisonment, suspended for 12 months and ordered to complete 150 hours unpaid work.

Noreen was given a 12-month community order and a four-month curfew.