A THUG who fractured a man's cheekbone by headbutting him three times in an unprovoked pub toilet attack is starting his latest spell in jail.

Burnley Crown Court heard that after attacking a confused Jake Leary, defendant Joey English told him 'not to deal on my patch'.

The court heard a confused Mr Leary, who had never met English and had no idea what the 35-year-old was referring to, needed surgery to fix the damage to his his.

Prosecuting, Matthew Haworth said: "This was an unprovoked attack by the defendant on Jake Leary in a pub bathroom. As a result of the incident Mr Leary suffered a fractured jaw. This occurred on July 7, last year. Mr Leary with a number of friends.

"After watching the England vs Sweden World Cup match. He had visited a number of pubs. Mr Leary and his friends ended up in the Rose N Bowl pub in Stacksteads."

Mr Haworth said CCTV showed Mr Leary go into the toilets at 10.55pm, followed by English less than 30 seconds later.

The victim described being headbutted by English to the left side of his face while he was at the urinal. The defendant headbutted Mr Leary in the face a second time.

Mr Haworth said a shocked Mr Leary held his hands up and asked English, who had been drinking alcohol and had taken cocaine, what was going on.

Mr Haworth said in response English grabbed Mr Leary, pulled him in and headbutted him for a third time, adding: "Don't deal on my patch."

The prosecutor said Mr Leary had no idea what English was referring to.

The court heard English, of Cutler Crescent, Stacksteads, had been banned from the pub in Newchurch Road for fighting in the past, and had only been let back in months earlier.

Mr Leary was taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital where he received surgery for the broken jaw and treatment for a cut to his face.

English, who has 20 convictions for 35 previous offences, pleading guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Defending, Jane Dagnall said her client, a father-of-four, had abstained from drinking and taking drugs following this incident and referred himself to the substance misuse service Inspire.

Ms Dagnall said: "He has demonstrated genuine remorse. He has also made efforts to make changes in his life."

Recorder Tom Gilbart said: "This was an unpleasant and unprovoked attack with the use of three headbutts on someone who had done nothing more than gone to use the toilets. He didn't know you. He didn't deserve what happened to him.

English was jailed for 15 months.