A TEENAGER who threw a pint glass at her soon-to-be mother-in-law during a row at a pub has walked free from court.

Burnley Crown Court heard 18-year-old Sky Stamp was caught on CCTV throwing a drink over her victim, Glenda Walsh, before launching the glass at her face.

However the court was told Stamp had been assaulted by Ms Walsh in the toilets in the build-up and the victim had ‘lunged’ towards Stamp moments before she threw the glass.

As a result of the attack in the Roebuck Inn in Rishton on May 17, Ms Walsh was left with a cut above her right eye which required six stitches and may leave permanent scarring.

Prosecuting, Holly Nelson said: “This case relates to one matter of assault occasioning actual bodily harm. The complainant Glenda Walsh, the soon-to-be mother-in-law, lunged towards the defendant at which point she was struck with the glass, causing a significant injury above the eye of the complainant.”

Describing the CCTV played in court, Ms Nelson said: “You first see the complainant and then defendant walking into shot, the drink being thrown and the glass being thrown in the complainant’s face.You then see some blood on the complainant’s face from the injury."

Ms Nelson said as well as the physical injury, Ms Walsh had been left 'very down, irritable and with thoughts of self-harm'. The victim, who was left unable to work for three weeks, was prescribed anti-depressants and also complained about suffering with insomnia, Ms Nelson said.

Stamp, of Glebe Street, Great Harwood, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Defending, Bob Sastry said his client had overcome a number of difficulties in her youth to qualify as a care worker but that had now career path was no longer viable as a result of this conviction.

Mr Sastry said: “She is extremely remorseful for her behaviour, Ms Stamp is quite horrified by what she did.

“The basis of plea outlines she was subjected to violence by the aggrieved party in February and shortly before the injury she was subjected to an assault by the aggrieved in the toilets.

"This wasn’t an unprovoked attack, nevertheless it is one she feels extremely remorseful about. She acted completely out of character.”

READ > 'A fitting tribute' - Hundreds turn out for emotional Lindsay Birbeck memorial walk

Judge Simon Medland QC said: “This was an argument about the relationship which this defendant is having with the complainant’s son, whether that is right or appropriate in the complainant’s view.”

He added: “The prosecution accepts this offence was committed by you recklessly. You didn’t intend serious violence. You didn’t intend to use the pint glass as a weapon, However that is what it became. It resulted in a serious injury.” Stamp was given an 18-month community order, with 30 rehabilitation days and a six-week curfew.