POLICE have arrested a teenage boy on suspicion of the murder of Lindsay Birbeck.

The teenager, from Accrington, was arrested following an appeal for information. He remains in custody.

Lindsay’s family have been told of this latest development.

Det Supt Andy Cribbin, of the Force Major Investigation Team, said: “The response to our earlier appeal has been absolutely overwhelming and I would like to thank everyone who has come forward with information.

“While we have made an arrest our enquiries are very much continuing and I would continue to appeal for anyone with information to come forward, however I would urge people not to speculate and to be mindful of the comments they make, especially on social media, as this causes distress to the family and could impact on our investigation.”

The police spokesman added their thanks again to everyone who has supported, responded to and shared appeals and said thoughts remain with Lindsay's family and friends.

Detectives investigating the death of the mum-of-two from Accrington had earlier released CCTV footage of a suspect pulling a wheelie bin along the road in the direction of Accrington cemetery.

Earlier on Tuesday police confirmed the body found at Accrington Cemetery at the weekend was that of the missing teaching assistant.

Ms Birbeck, 47, went missing from home on August 12 and after the discovery on Saturday evening of a woman’s body at Accrington Cemetery, detectives launched a murder inquiry.

A post mortem examination showed that Lindsay died as a result of compression of the neck.

A police spokesperson added: "We are aware of rumours circulating on social media about what may have happened to Lindsay and for the family’s sake we once again would urge people not to speculate as this is causing her loved ones significant additional distress at what is clearly an extremely difficult time for them.

"A large team of detectives, uniformed officers and staff are working on the enquiry to establish what happened to Lindsay after she went missing and to identify who was responsible for her death."

Police had earlier tweeted CCTV footage of a suspect in the murder 

Lancashire Telegraph:

READ > Great Harwood scrapyard boss, Tommy Smith, back in court

Detective Supt Cribbin added: “I understand that people in the community will be concerned about what has happened and we are doing all we can to try to find out what has happened to Lindsay so we can reassure people and provide answers for her family.

“There are a large number of police in and around the Burnley Road area and if anyone has any concerns they should speak to an officer but I would urge people to go about the lives as usual.”

Lancashire Telegraph:

Ms Birbeck was last seen wearing a purple Rab bubble jacket, black leggings, a white shirt with blue pin stripes and black trainers with a white sole.

Her Huawei mobile phone is also missing.

Police urge anyone with information to submit it through their major crime web portal

Alternatively call police on 101 quoting log number 0824 of August 26 or independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.