THE parents of a vulnerable young man who died in a pool while on holiday in Egypt are still waiting for answers, as an inquest date is yet to be set in order to establish exactly how he died.

Greg Roult, of Waterfoot, was 27 when he died after suffering a seizure at the five-star Hotel Sonesta in Sharm-el-Sheikh in March 2015.

He was holidaying with his two carers, who were employed by Lancashire County Council, and was found at the bottom of the pool.

Paramedics were called to the resort and a hotel doctor gave treatment at the side of the pool but he died later that day in hospital.

At a fifth pre-inquest review hearing into Greg’s death, which took place at Preston Coroners Court, coroner James Newman said that he had been unable to contact the hotel, the hotel doctor, the hospital and the parent company of the hotel in relation to the events that took place on the day Mr Roult died.

He said: “Greg had been taken on holiday with his two carers. On March 26, he had been on a boat excursion, and when he returned to the hotel he went into one of the pools.

“He got into difficulty and became submerged in the pool. He was recovered but couldn’t be revived.

“One of the great difficulties I have had with this case is that we are dealing with events in Egypt.

“The hotel was managed by an American parent company. He received treatment from a hotel doctor and in an Egyptian hospital.

“I have made monthly requests to the parent company, the hotel and the hospital and I have had nothing back from any of them.

“The position I find myself in is that the evidence from some of the hotel guests is about the medical treatment Greg received at the poolside.

“I want to look at the events prior to what happened in the pool and what happened in regards to the boat trip he was on.

“There’s discrepancies over whether the carers had drunk alcohol on the boat trip, despite the company saying they had no licence, and there are also discrepancies over the location of the carers while Greg was in the pool.

“But I’m afraid we are also in a position where we are going to get nothing from the organisations in Egypt.”

Mr Newman advised that he would consider this an Article Two inquest, by where the state or ‘its agents’ have ‘failed to protect the deceased against a human threat or other risk’, and would be summonsing a jury and a significant number of witnesses to sit in at the inquest hearing.

He also advised five days would be needed to establish a cause of death conclusion.

The date of the inquest into Mr Roult’s death is due to be set later this week.

Speaking after the inquest, solicitor for the Roult family, Kelly Darlington said: “This is an extremely tragic case in which Greg died whilst on holiday in Egypt.

"Extensive attempts have been made to try and obtain further information from Egypt in connection with the circumstances surrounding his death.

"The lack of cooperation from Egypt has unfortunately added to the delay in this inquest being heard and Greg’s parents knowing exactly what happened to their son.”