A MAN started demanding money off his parents the day after he had been made subject to a suspended prison sentence.

Blackburn magistrates heard Ian Whitehead was banned from approaching their home by a restraining order but turned up before the suspended sentence was 24 hours old asking for cash which they knew he would use to buy drugs.

Whitehead, 47, of Holmes Street, Burnley, pleaded guilty to breaching a restraining order.

He was sent in custody to Burnley Crown Court to be sentenced after the magistrates ruled their powers of punishment were insufficient.

Parveen Akhtar, prosecuting, said it was the third breach of the order which was made after Whitehead was convicted of assaulting his parents.

She said he appeared before Blackburn magistrates on August 12 and was given a 12 week suspended sentence after pleading guilty to breaching the order by turning up at his parents' home.

"He is not banned from having contact with them as long as it is not at their home," said Miss Akhtar.

"They were fed up of him turning up demanding money which they knew was going to be used for drugs. Despite all that has gone on they are still very supportive of him."

Miss Akhtar said Whitehead turned up at his parents' home on August 13 asking for money.

"He went every day last week, except Thursday, until he was arrested," said Miss Akhtar.

"His mum says sometimes they give him money because they are scared of what he might do.

"I have spoken to his mum this morning and she still wants to be able to have contact with him although not at their home. What she really wants is for him to get some help with his drug problems."

Mark Williams, defending, said between 2002 and 2019 his client had spent most of the time sectioned in mental health hospitals.

"He has relied on his mum and step-dad over the years and they have been very supportive of him," said Mr Williams.

"They eventually decided to stop giving him money and following the assaults requested a restraining order. They didn't want him coming to the house."

Mr Williams said it wasn't the most serious breach, Whitehead had simply gone to their home asking for money, but it was accepted it was the third breach and came quickly after the suspended sentence was imposed.