THIS picture shows the boating lake at Queen's Park in Blackburn.

Originally known as Audley Recreation Ground, the park was named after Queen Victoria.

The Queen's Golden Jubilee on June 20, 1887 was commemorated by the town official opening of the 33-acre park before a crowd of 20,000.

It cost £15,000 and the park too five years to create after the land was donated by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

The 3.65-acre lake was not completed until some years after the park opened.

Its rowing boats and sailing boats were so popular, that in 1936, the Corporation stopped leasing the boating rights to private owners and took over the business itself.

They added motorboats to the fleet, for which demand was so great that, on sunny days boaters had to queue for two hours.