A MAN who was thrown out of a nightclub by door staff for harassing women returned an hour later with a sword.

Burnley Crown Court heard how William James Cross had been drinking with a friend in Bar BB11 on May10 last year but was ejected at 11pm after talking inappropriately to a number of women.

Prosecuting, Kimberley Obrusik said the 35-year-old went to another bar in the town but returned at midnight with a two and a half-foot long sword.

Ms Obrusik said Cross made a threat to kill one of the door staff, while holding the weapon. However when he moved towards Cross the defendant backed away and went home. She said although Cross ‘moved the sword around at waist height’, the blade was behind him.

The court heard the sword was later found by police at Cross’s house.

Cross, who has 15 convictions for 31 offences, pleaded guilty to affray and possessing a bladed article in a public place.

A probation officer told the court: “It seems to be a foolish decision caused by his alcohol use that day. On leaving the bar he made a foolish decision to pick up a sword which he says he found on the street near some bins. He can’t explain why he picked it up and then went to around to the club he had been thrown out of earlier.

“He said he had no intention to hurt anybody but understands the fear it would have caused for people in the bar and door staff.”

Defending, Matthew Howarth said his client was an engineer with a young daughter, who was terrified of going to prison.

Judge Andrew Woolman said the offence clearly passed the custody threshold but he was prepared to give Cross another chance.

Judge Woolman said: “It was 11 o’clock at night. You were thrown out of the nightclub as you were being a bit of a nuisance. You went to another bar.

“From somewhere you got this weapon. You took the weapon to the area of the club. You were holding it and moving it around about waist height. You issued a threat to the doormen that you were going to kill them.”

Cross, of Cog Lane, Burnley, was given a 10-month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to complete 150 hours' unpaid work.