A MAN with a history of substance abuse died after taking several different types of drug.

Christopher Lytollis, 51, was found dead by his friend in his flat in Blackburn on April 4, just one hour after he had been to borrow a cigarette from him.

Mr Lytollis had been living in a hostel run by The Moorings Trust, in Pump Street, Blackburn, for around 16 years.

At an inquest, coroner James Newman said that Mr Lytollis had a history of depression, anxiety and substance misuse.

A post-mortem examination found tranquilisers, painkillers, cocaine, methodone, heroin and anti-depressants in his bloodstream.

Mr Newman said: "He was prescribed medication which was poorly managed and he was known to take more medication in one day that he was prescribed."

The inquest heard how on morning of April 4, Mr Lytollis' friend, Tony Fallows, had gone to his flat to borrow a cigarette from him.

In a statement read out by Mr Newman, Mr Fallows had said: "I had seen Chris that morning at about 11.20am and he was in his chair and appeared drowsy but that was normal behaviour for Chris."

Mr Fallows then left the flat but returned an hour or so later at around 12.35pm to tell Mr Lytollis that his dinner was ready.

When he got no answer and didn't come down for dinner, Mr Fallows returned to the flat and entered through the front door and found Mr Lytollis slumped on his chair.

Mr Fallows then went to get Alan Cooper, the hostel manager, before administering an anti-opiate injection called naloxone.

Mr Fallows said in his statement: "There was no response from Chris, the naloxone injection had not affected him and resuscitation attempts failed too."

In a statement from Mr Cooper, he said he had known Mr Lytollis a number of years and was aware of his alcohol and drug use, which had included heroin and cocaine, and his habit of taking more medication than he should have.

He explained he would often lie to obtain more tablets, saying he was going away and needed extra, or he had lost the first prescription.

Toxicology analysis confirmed there to be multiple substances in his system, enough to be fatal, and Mr Newman recorded a drug-related death.