THWAITES' Arcade, linking Church Street with Lord Street in Blackburn, was built on the site of ancient tenements and is seen here from the Lord Street end.

Above the spectacular entrance was a date stone, which reads 1883.

It also had the coat of arms of the man whom it was named after, Daniel Thwaites, a brewer and Blackburn MP.

Mr Thwaites sat in the House of Commons to represent the town from 1875 to 1880.

The arcade boasted 22 shops and two more flanking at each entrance.

It had a variety of shops which would cater everyone's needs.

It was fully opened in 1884 due to some late finishing touches.

One of the coat of arms was restored to the Thwaites' brewery's museum in 1987.

This was 16 years after the arcade was demolished to make way for a new shopping centre.