A WAREHOUSEMAN rushed into help an elderly lady put out a kitchen fire after she knocked on the window.

Danny Miller was at a friend's house in Stirling Street, Blackburn, when the woman in her sixties alerted him to the blaze shortly before 6pm on Saturday.

The 35-year-old went round to her home and had used damp towels to extinguish the fire by the time help arrived.

The house owner was treated for smoke inhalation and flash burns by fire service personnel and paramedics at the scene and taken to hospital.

Two appliances from Blackburn fire station attended the incident,

Crew manager Mark Hoyle said: "The lady in her 60s was cooking when the kitchen caught fire.

"She alerted us and a neighbour and Mr Miller went in and put the fire out.

"It was well alight and he did well to extinguish it."

Mr Miller said: "The lady knocked on the window and said her kitchen was on fire.

"I didn't really think but just went round and used damp towels to put it out.

"I didn't want it to do any more damage or spread to my friend's house next door.,"

The fire crews used one hose reel and a ventilation fan and were at the scene for approximately fifty minutes.

The cooker and kitchen were badly fire and smoke-damaged