A GUN crime conspirator was arrested on Monday by police “acting on information” received from a member of the public.

Blackburn magistrates heard Hasriat Omar Khan, who had been on the run after failing to turn up to be sentenced at Preston Crown Court, drove away from police when they tried to stop him.

But a “stinger” was deployed, deflating all four tyres, and he was arrested when his car came to a stop and he tried to flee.

Khan, of Bishop Street, Accrington, pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention, driving while disqualified and without insurance. He was jailed for 16 weeks and banned from driving for 30 months.

However that sentence is the least of Khan’s problems.

Last month the 32-year-old was sentenced in his absence to nine years in jail after being convicted in his absence of conspiracy to possess a firearm with intent after a shotgun blast at a house in Beaconsfield Street, Haslingden, in May 2017.

And yesterday he appeared before Judge Jonathan Gibson, sitting at Preston Crown Court, over video link from Preston Prison.

Khan was due to be sentenced for breaching his bail conditions by not turning up for his trial or sentencing.

But Judge Gibson adjourned that hearing until July 8 when he will appear before Judge Heather Lloyd, the trial judge who issued the warrant for his arrest.

Days before his original sentencing date in May, police issued a witness appeal to trace Khan, describing him as having an AK47 tattoo on his neck and a tattoo of a rifle on his arm.

And Khan, formerly of Moorland View, Ramsbottom, took that opportunity to taunt police on social media, as well as sending expletive replies to fellow posters.

Outlining the sequence of events that led to his capture, Parveen Akhtar, prosecuting at the magistrates court, said Khan was driving a Peugeot and when he refused to stop when requested a pursuit began.

Officers had a stinger ready to be deployed in Higher Eanam, Blackburn.

READ > 'He was my everything' – mum's tribute to Bacup crash victim, 24

“Initially the chase was at high speed but after he had driven over the stinger all four tyres began to deflate,” said Miss Akhtar. He turned into Higher Barnes Street against the one way flow and at that stage clearly had reduced control. He struggled further as the tyres started to degrade and he eventually stopped the vehicle at a dead end where he was arrested.”

Khan will serve the 16-week sentence at the end of the nine year firearms term.