An investigation is underway after fire crews spent two hours tackling a blaze in a flat.

Firefighters and police attended the ground floor property on Ivinson Road, Darwen, at around 8am on Sunday.

Four crew members wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat with two hose reels to extinguish the fire, which is thought to have started in the lounge.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "We attended a smouldering fire which has caused lots of smoke damage to the property.

"Luckily, no-one was in the flat at the time.

"Officers from CID and CSI also attended and the fire is being treated as suspicious."