Burnley’s market has been the beating heart of the town for more than 700 years.

The town received its markets charter in the late 13th century and it was held round the market cross in Church Street, near St Peter’s Church, for more than 500 years.

Generations after generations of families have held stalls on there and the market became a place to socialise as well as work.

The Victorian edifice, built by the corporation inn 1870 at a cost of £12,000 was demolished almost a century later as the town centre was modernised.

It took a lot to pull it down, as it was one of the most solid constructions in Burnley, with walls six feet thick at basement level and more than three feet at ground level.

Dynamite had to be used to make the job easier for the demolition men.

Modernisation started taking place in the late 1960s with the large metal roof structure slowly taking shape for the new-look market.

When it opened it had offered shoppers 80 stalls, selling a variety of produce and wares, while outside the vast open market drew in hundreds of customers with 230 stalls, a third of which sold fruit and vegetables.

The market is still thriving today, with a range of stalls.