THE Lowry theatre was evacuated during a Jason Manford gig due to a mobile phone catching fire.

Hundreds of people were removed from the Salford-based theatre after a patron's mobile phone caught fire during the interval of his Muddle Class gig on Saturday evening.

The fire service were called at around 8pm and the main show was delayed by around 20 minutes.

Blackburn comedian Tez Ilyas, who provided a warm-up set for the show, tweeted about the incident.

He said: "Got off stage supporting the ace Jason Manford at The Lowry.

"Fun show, did my jokes about terrorism, audience enjoyed it in the spirit in which they were intended, but the second I walk off stage the alarm goes off and the whole theatre has to be evacuated."

The Lowry Theatre confirmed their security staff removed the phone and the fire service attended.

In a tweet, a spokesman said: "The Lyric Theatre was evacuated this evening after a patron’s mobile phone overheated during the interval of Jason Manford.

"Our security removed the phone from the venue and the fire service attended as per our emergency procedures.

"Show delayed by approx 20 mins before continuing."

Mr Manford tweeted a picture of the phone which had caught fire.

It is not thought anyone suffered any serious injuries.