THREE people were taken to hospital when loose clothing a girl was wearing near a gas fire set alight.

Firefighters from Hyndburn and Haslingden attended the blaze on Exchange Street in Accrington at 6.55pm on Monday.

Watch manager Mick Birks said: "An investigation has been launched into the incident.

"It was just an accidental fire in the property but we believe it was some loose clothing.

READ > JAILED: Blackburn dad who shook his baby son into a coma

"We helped the ambulance service in providing first aid for the three casualties who were taken to the hospital.

"We were there for just over an hour."

An Exchange Street resident said: "I didn't see what was going on, but there were three fire engines, an ambulance and two police cars over on the other side of the street.

"I didn't see any smoke or anything though. They were here for around an hour."

Another resident said: "It's worrying to hear a young girl has burnt herself in this way.

"I hope everyone is okay."