THE sister of a 29-year-old who hanged himself from a canal bridge told an inquest the mental health system failed her brother.

Kyle Dixon was found dead in Plumbe Street, Burnley, on the afternoon of May 23, after he had repeatedly gone to A&E at Royal Blackburn Hospital in the two days before his death, asking for help.

An inquest in Burnley heard how Mr Dixon visited the hospital once on May 21 and three times on May 22.

The first time on May 22, he was brought to hospital in an ambulance after police saw him having a psychologically-induced seizure.

Each time he exhibited erratic behaviour, complained of paranoia, said he could hear voices in his head and said he was experiencing flashbacks.

It was explained that on all four occasions, Mr Dixon was deemed to have the capacity to make his own decisions and was allowed to leave the hospital. He was referred to a mental health team, with a letter to be sent to his doctor the following day.

Consultant clinical director of emergency medicine Georgina Robertson said: “He was unable to give any reason why he had returned to the hospital and didn’t on any occasion appear suicidal. We referred him to the mental health team but did not have the power to detain him.”

Mr Dixon’s mother Ruth Bancroft told the inquest her son had always refused to admit there was anything wrong with him and the last time he was seen by a GP was in June 2015 when she accompanied him to an appointment.

She said: “He didn’t believe that he was ill, but we did.”

She asked if there had been any liaison between the emergency team, the mental health team and his GP, after his four hospital visits, but Dr Robertson said there had not been.

Coroner Richard Taylor said: “Three attendances on the same day would raise in anyone’s mind concerns that there was something not right, however there was nothing physically wrong with him and he never exhibited suicidal ideation. Therefore the mental health team did not have the powers to detain him.”

His sister Kara Dixon said: “There was something wrong – that’s why you referred him to the mental health team. I am not a trained person but you have completely failed him. He came back several times and asked for help.

“If someone comes in saying ‘I don’t know why I am here’ after having a pseudo-seizure, which are caused by stress, it’s clear that something’s wrong.

“He was agitated and paranoid, hearing voices – that’s not normal behaviour. In my eyes, it’s a massive failure.”

Mr Dixon, of Hallam Road, Nelson, took his own life the following day.

Addressing his family, Mr Taylor said: “I hope while you are never going to be satisfied that he received the treatment you believe he should have had, you are given at least some explanation to what happens at the hospital.

“They were presented with a man who complained of several different things and was assessed by the mental heath team who deemed him to have the capacity to make his own decisions.

“While I fully accept your concerns that someone who presents as many times as he did would raise alarm bells, which it did, you have to understand the power the hospital have and what they can do if he has the capacity to make his own decisions.

“What he did was a deliberate act and I have to record a conclusion of suicide.”

Speaking after the inquest, Mrs Bancroft said: “I feel that the hospital should have a different system where they refer mental health patients, especially in situations like this. We are concerned about it happening to others."