A TEENAGER with no driving licence who crashed his car into a stationary vehicle containing a six-month-old after a police pursuit was told the consequences of his driving could have been “disastrous”.

Motorist Emma Hall and her baby escaped without serious injury after Shahzeeb Khan’s car smashed into her Ford Ka, Burnley Crown Court was told.

Earlier Khan, 18, had driven at speeds reaching 50mph around an estate in Nelson, veering onto the wrong side of the road, to flee police, before the abrupt halt, the court heard.

Passing sentence, Judge Andrew Woolman said it was only his relative youth and family background which had saved him from an immediate custodial sentence.

“This could have been disastrous and you could have been facing charges very much worse than the ones you are facing today,” added Judge Woolman.

Khan, of Southfield Street, Nelson, had pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving without insurance and driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence.

He was given a 12-month community order, including 150 hours' community service, 10 days of rehabilitation activities and a six-week curfew. Khan was also banned from driving for 12 months and ordered to pay £150 costs.

Stephen Parker, prosecuting, said a police constable, on patrol on October 7 last year, was told that a car had been spotted in the Larch Street area of Nelson which was registered as uninsured.

The officer illuminated the blue lights on his police vehicle, in an effort to force the car to pull over, the court heard, but the driver sped away, the court heard.

Mr Parker said the car was seen to be driving at speeds reaching 50mph in a 30mph area. The vehicle was also spotted driving on the wrong side of the street on occasions.

He told the court that the incident ended around Brunswick Street when the car collided with a parked vehicle, which shunted into Miss Hall’s Ka.

Mr Parker said the collision caused damage totalling £3,600 but fortunately, while Miss Hall suffered a whiplash injury, the baby was unhurt.

Robert Elias, defending, said his client, who had only just bought the car, had “panicked” when he became aware of the police patrol.

He added: “This is an incident which should be a reality check for the defendant. He could easily have hurt someone by his stupidity.”

Mr Elias said that Khan worked in parcel delivery and also for two days a week at a car wash and was only lightly-convicted.