A WOMAN died after taking a mixture of prescribed drugs, an inquest found.

Annie Stokes was found unresponsive on the sofa of her home in Royds Street, Accrington, by her mum and a friend, on June 9.

East Lancashire assistant coroner Richard Taylor said at an inquest held at Preston Coroner's Court that the 38 year-old had taken an excess of medication.

The hearing was told Mrs Stokes, married to Edward Stokes, had a history of heart problems and suffered from diabetes and pancreatitis.

The inquest heard how she took different medication for these conditions and had been admitted to hospital with pneumonia.

After being discharged from hospital on May 22, it was on June 9 that her mum and friend discovered Mrs Stokes on the sofa of her living room.

They assumed Mrs Stokes was asleep but after trying to wake her they found her to be unresponsive.

Despite CPR being attempted and an ambulance being contacted, paramedics confirmed Mrs Stokes' death.

The hearing was also told that packets of pills had been found near to Mrs Stokes.

Dr Edward Lake, a consultant radiologist at Lancashire Teaching hospitals, who carried out a post-mortem examination into Mrs Stokes' death, offered no cause of death.

Dr Lake said: "There was no natural cause of death identified on the CT post-mortem."

Toxicology tests showed methadone, anti-depressant mirtazapine, calming medication diazepam, tranquiliser chlordiazepoxide and painkiller dihydrocodeine were found in Mrs Stokes' system

Recording his conclusion, Richard Taylor, added: "The most likely cause of death was the effect of these drugs.

"The appropriate cause to put on balance is multi-drug toxicity.

"There is no suggestion of a deliberate overdose intending to end life.

"So I return a conclusion of misadventure, that Mrs Stokes died having ingested an excess of medication."