A DRINK-driver led police on a highly dangerous early-morning chase from Burnley to Accrington.

Blackburn magistrates heard John Brian Durkin reached speeds of 80mph in a 30 limit, went round a roundabout the wrong way at high speed and shot a red light at the end of a motorway slip road.

He eventually crashed through the security barrier at a Clayton-le-Moors industrial estate where he was cornered by three police cars and arrested.

Durkin, 33, of Venice Avenue, Burnley, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving on Tuesday, failing to provide a specimen for analysis and failing to stop. He was committed in custody to Burnley Crown Court to be sentenced on February 15.

Parveen Akhtar, prosecuting, said the incident started at 4.50am when Durkin's car was seen speeding on Westway towards Accrington Road.

The car was doing in excess of 70mph in a residential area and reached 80mph as it headed towards the Network 65 industrial estate and junction 9 on the M65 with police in pursuit.

The car braked heavily before going round the roundabout the wrong way and then joining the M65 where it headed east at over 90mph, weaving from lane to lane at a time when visibility was reduced by rain and spray from other vehicles.

The Vauxhall Corsa was doing 90mph on the slip road at junction 7 where it went straight through a red light and then headed along Dunkenhalgh Way at 60mph.

The car crashed through the security barrier at the entrance to the junction 7 industrial estate and the pursuing officer saw the car slow as though Durkin was about to get out and run.

Two other police cars arrived and there was contact with one of them before Durkin was arrested. He refused to provide a breath sample.

"This was a prolonged piece of bad driving, involving excessive speed during a police pursuit," said Miss Akhtar.

Catherine Fell, defending, said Durkin admitted he had been drinking and that was why he didn't stop.

"He says he just panicked and unfortunately it got completely out of hand," said Miss Fell.

She said nobody had to take evasive action during the chase because the roads were very quiet and when he did stop he did not resist the police officers.

Sending the case to the crown court for sentence District Judge James Clarke said it had been a sustained course of driving which had posed a risk to other road users.