A JUDGE has ruled a former Territorial Army soldier, blasted for “killing Muslims”, was left with his jaw broken in three places because of his military service.

Imran Khan, 28, approached army reservist Imran Hussain in a Subway, in Blackburn, and told him: “What you are doing is wrong, killing Muslims”, Preston Crown Court heard.

After the incident there were several flashpoints between the Khan and Hussain families, the court was told.

This culminated in a confrontation in the Dahna Lounge, in the town centre, between the two men, which spilled out into the street, with Khan punching Mr Hussain in the face, breaking his jaw.

Khan, of Whalley Old Road, Blackburn, pleaded guilty to assaulting Mr Hussain in March 2017.

But Judge Simon Newell ordered a trial over the issue of whether Khan’s motivation for the attack was Mr Hussain’s army membership.

Giving evidence, Khan insisted he had studied public services at college, with a view to entering the services.

He also said his grandfather had been killed on active service, and he also had a cousin in the army.

Earlier, Mr Hussain had confirmed he firmly believed he had been targeted by Khan because of his role with the TA.

The court heard Mr Hussain’s mother also told him of concerns within the Asian community about his army work and he eventually left the service in November 2016.

He also told the court his car windows were smashed around the same time, which he blamed on the Khan family.

Another incident took place which saw Mohammed Ramzan Khan, the defendant’s brother-in-law, hospitalised, which he blamed on Mr Hussain and his family.

Mr Hussain moved away for work, and the later assault took place when he returned to Blackburn and went for a night out with friends.

Ruling the army membership was behind the attack, Judge Newell said he “didn’t find Khan to be an honest witness” and “manipulated the facts to his own advantage”.

Khan will be sentenced on February 14 after reports are compiled, along with family members Shabaz Khan, 26, and Jabbar Khan, 28, also of Whalley Old Road, who admitted to using threatening behaviour as part of the same incident.

Not guilty verdicts were ordered by the judge on Haider Khan, 34, and Mohammed Ramzan Khan, 23, of the same address, on public order offences.