FIREFIGHTERS were called to tackle a house fire.

Two fire crews attended the fire in Skelton Street, Colne, at around 1.20pm today.

A fire service spokesman said the blaze involved a cooker which had been put out by the time crews arrived.

The spokesman said: "Crews carried out salvage work to the affected area."

The fire caused severe damage to the cooker and grill and light smoke damage to the two ground floor rooms.

Fire crews helped a person who was suffering from shock but declined hospital treatment.

Firefighters fitted two smoke alarms while at the scene.