A MAN who told police he had been carrying a knife because he was frustrated at a perceived lack of help from the mental health services has been jailed.

Burnley Crown Court heard earlier the same day 28-year-old David Brian Lowe had been dumped by his girlfriend.

Prosecuting Alistair Reid said police had been called to Accrington town centre at around 11pm on October 5 to reports that a man had been seen with a knife.

Officers went to the scene and saw a man fitting the description they had been given walking along Blackburn Road. Mr Reid said that turned out to be Lowe.

The prosecutor said: “He raised his hands as officers approached. Mr Lowe identified himself.

“A search was carried out and no knife was found. Mr Lowe told officers he had put it in a black bin which was on Blackburn Road. Enquiries were made and the knife was found. It was a black-handled kitchen knife with a five inch blade.”

Lowe told officers he had been struggling with the breakdown of his relationship and was having difficulties with his mental health. He also admitted to smashing a window at The Mount in Accrington, causing £500 of damage.

Lowe, of Woodside Road, Huncoat, pleading guilty to possessing a bladed article and criminal damage.

Defending, Philip Boyd said: “So far as the circumstances of the offence are concerned this would never have come to court had my client not told police he had had a knife which was now in the bin. There is no other evidence against him. He was never seen with the weapon in a public place.

“He said it was effectively a cry for help. He felt unduly let down by the mental health services.

“He was expecting to be given Subutex (to treat opioid addiction).

“He wasn’t getting it because it wasn’t on his prescription. He was frustrated.

“His relationship with his partner had finished that day. He was at his wits’ end. There was no intention to frighten anyone.”

The court heard Lowe had eight previous convictions, including two for knife possession, meaning he was subject to the mandatory minimum sentence under the ‘three-strike rule’.

Judge Jonathan Gibson jailed Lowe for four months.