A MOTHER walked into a room to find her son preparing to hang himself, an inquest has heard.

In a note written before his death, Shaun McDermott wrote that he felt he could now ‘turn out the light’.

The 45-year-old was found by his mother Penny Kellet in her living room with a rope and step ladder on May 13.

Seeking help, the inquest was told how Ms Kellet immediately ran out into the street, looking for help from neighbours and calling an ambulance.

Paramedics arrived at the address in Commercial Street, Oswaldtwistle, and were able to resuscitate Mr McDermott and transfer him to hospital, but the father-of-one died a number of days later.

Describing what he called the ‘most unusual circumstances’, area coroner Richard Taylor concluded that he had intended to kill himself.

Speaking at the inquest, Lianne Dewhurst, a mental health nurse who saw Mr McDermott following a referral from his GP in November 2017, said he had been quite low about the fact he had stopped engaging with some of the hobbies and interests he enjoyed.

She said: “Part of his problem was also the fact the he was having difficulties with housing.”

The inquest also heard that Mr McDermott had battled addiction in the past and was dealing with Aspire, a drug and alcohol service.

A doctor from the charity said while Mr McDermott had previously engaged well with the charity, before his death his contact with them was less frequent.

He said: “In 2016 he had a detox and then was meant to go into rehabilitation but he decided against it.

“He then started to disengage with us and missed a number of appointments in the time before his death.

“He also stopped picking up his medication.”

His sister, Bonita McDermott, said Mr McDermott had stopped attending appointments as he was struggling to get to Aspire’s centre in Accrington.

She had concerns about his state of mind, saying: “He had tattooed his face which to me was a sign he was in crisis.

“There were also letters found in his room dating back two years in which he discussed suicide. Unfortunately he didn’t tell anyone.”