FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning over the importance of smoke alarms after a blaze at a house in Great Harwood last night.

Crews from Hyndburn and Great Harwood stations were alerted just before 8.10pm after a fire was reported in a first-floor bedroom at a property in Bridge End, Whalley Road.

A fire service spokesman said four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the flames, using two hosereel jets.

He added: "Fortunately the occupier was not in the address at the time of the incident and there were no reported injuries.

"Once firefighters extinguished the fire, a ventilation unit was used to remove smoke from the property."

The spokesman said that the incident highlighted the importance of fitting a working smoke alarm.