A SEX offender has been returned to prison after being caught in possession of a library card.

Matthew Matthiason breached the terms of his Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO), by using public computers in Blackburn Library, days after he was released from prison, a court heard.

Matthiason, 32, was handed an indefinite order and placed on the sex offenders register for life in 2014 after repeatedly flouting court orders intended to prevent him from viewing indecent images of children.

Peter Barr, prosecuting, said: “It appears this defendant just can’t help himself. He breaches just about every order he has.”

On August 6, police attended the bail hostel in Blackburn, where Matthiason was living as part of his transition back into society.

They discovered a library card, and a note Matthiason had written, stating ‘26-inch doll.’

The terms of Matthiason’s SOPO state he must not use any computer or electronic device that does not have the capacity to retain his search history, to allow officers to monitor his internet use.

Matthiason initially denied using the computers in the library – but later confessed he had set up a Facebook profile and started to write a CV.

Darren Lee-Smith, defending, said his client recognises he has a problem in controlling himself and has gone so far as to make enquiries about chemical castration in a bid to put an end to his offending.

He has been given SOPOs in 2005, 2010 and 2014 - each one lengthier than the last - for making and possessing indecent images.

But he has breached every one, the court heard.

Judge Phillip Parry, sentencing at Preston Crown Court, said: “It is very clear to me that you have a long and entrenched pattern and history of obtaining illegal images of children, spanning well over a decade.

“This was a flagrant breach of your Sexual Offences Prevention Order and the court has concerns that what you were seeking to do was create a Facebook account.

"Who knows what else you might have used the internet for? That is why your internet use must be monitored.”

The court heard there was no evidence Matthiason had used the internet to carry out any illegal activity, but the judge said his offending was so serious, and had happened so soon after he was released on licence that a return to prison was the only available option for him.

He jailed Matthiason for 16 months.