FIRE crews were sent to the scene of a house blaze in the early hours of today.

Two fire engines from Haslingden and Rawtenstall were called to the fire in the ground floor kitchen of a house in Blackburn Road, Haslingden.

A woman in the house was treated for smoke inhalation by ambulance paramedics following the fire at 4.25am today. 

A fire service spokesman said: "Firefighters used a hosereel jet to extinguish the fire and a portable fan unit to extract smoke from the building."

An ambulance service spokesman said: "We sent one ambulance to the scene and a woman was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital."