A FIRE in a plastic storage unit which spread to a house is believed to have been started accidentally.

Three fire crews were called to the blaze in Gordon Street in Bacup at around 3am today.

Firefighters said a plastic storage unit caught fire, which spread to the window of an adjacent house.

Crews used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to extinguish the blaze and they were in attendance for approximately 45 minutes.

A fire service spokesman said: "The fire started in a plastic storage unit next to a house.

"There was worries it could have spread inside the house, there was a lot of smoke.

"It had damaged the PVC windows of the house.

"We believe the fire had been started accidentally, possibly by a candle."

Nobody was injured in the incident.