FIREFIGHTERS have spent almost a day tackling a large fire at a waste and recycling centre. 

Crews were called at around 3pm on Sunday to Suez waste management in Darwen and are still in attendance almost 24 hours later.

Plumes of smoke were spotted for miles across Darwen as fire crews from across Lancashire dealt with the blaze at the site off Goose House Lane.

A driver reported seeing the blaze from the M65. 

One fire engine and a crew from Darwen are currently dampening down the area. 

A fire service spokesman said the cause of the fire is under investigation.

He said: “This morning one fire engine and crew from Darwen remain there. 

“Machinery, a digger, is in action raking over the debris to expose any remaining pockets of fire for the firefighters to extinguish.

“The cause of the fire is under investigation.”

At its height, two fire engines from Hyndburn along with an aerial ladder platform, two from Blackburn, one from Darwen, one from Bamber Bridge and another from Preston attended the scene. 

The fire happened in a building measuring approximately 10×10 metres and contained around 350 tonnes of waste.

Firefighters worked hard to ensure the fire didn’t spread to the nearby wood pile and other buildings.

The air support unit was in attendance to provide guidance to the aerial ladder platform and crews.

Around 160,000 litres of water had been used in an attempt to put out the fire.

Residents and people nearby were advised to keep their windows and doors closed due a light breeze and the large plume of smoke.

At about 9pm on Sunday, crews were dampening down the fire and worked overnight to ensure the area was safe.

Environment Agency officials were also on the site to protect people and the environment. 

The site is used as a waste disposal and recycling centre.

Watch manager Gary Drinkwater said: “The fire is at the yard which is a holding station for the skips before they go for recycling.

“There are 350 tonnes of water material alight.

“The aerial platform came from Hyndburn and the fire is under control and we have started dampening it down.”