A COUNCIL is seeking legal advice on whether to got to the High Court to make a last-ditch attempt to stop a 123 home development in one of its major towns.

Ribble Valley Borough Council are consulting an independent barrister about whether to seek a Judicial Review of a government inspector's decision to allow the new housing estate in Longridge.

It has also asked Ribble Valley MP Nigel Evans to take up the case at Westminster.

Developer the VH Partnership successfully appealed the council's refusal of planning permission for the 123 homes on land behind Higher Road.

The inspector rejected the council's arguments that the borough had a sufficient supply of residential development land without the new estate and that part of the site was covered by an agricultural covenant.

Cllr Ken Hind, leader of Ribble Valley Council , said: "It is essential for proper planning in the Borough and for the Borough to put this matter under scrutiny and get independent advice on the issues

"I have briefed our MP Nigel Evans MP on the serious consequences to the borough of this decision and he agreed to take up the matter with ministers and suggests I go with him to put the case. We are seeking independent counsel's advice on whether to go to Judicial Review. "