AN investigation has been launched after a six-week-old baby boy died.

Police were called to Stoneycroft in Worsthorne at 11.20am on Monday following reports the baby had been found unconscious.

An ambulance was called but the baby was pronounced dead at the scene.

Six police cars were at the home at one point as detectives launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death.

Police said the death was currently being treated as unexplained.

There have been no arrests.

A police spokesman said: "We were called around 11.20am on Monday, June 11, to an address in Stoneycroft, Worsthorne, following reports a six-week-old baby had been found unresponsive.

"Emergency services attended but sadly the baby, a boy, was pronounced dead at the scene. The death is currently being treated as unexplained and an investigation is underway."

Emergency service teams, including paramedics and police officers, responded to reports of an incident at a home in Stoneycroft, Worsthorne, shortly before 11.30am

Witnesses said they had seen six police cars and an ambulance at the scene

One neighbour said: "We don't know them well at all, they keep themselves to themselves."

Another resident, 84, said: "I've been here since I was a little baby and never seen as many police cars here as I have today."

Another neighbour said: "It is supposed to be a sleepy little village - we're not used to this at all."

A worker at the nearby Bay Horse pub said: "I've never seen so many police cars come up here. There were lots of flashing lights and sirens going off."

Another said: "I saw loads of police cars and a woman come out with two police officers and looking a bit distraught."

"We heard an ambulance this morning and two police cars. They cut off the entry into Stoneycroft. Four police officers went into the house. I've never seen so many police here before. it's quite shocking."

An ambulance spokesman said: "We were called to an incident at a property in Stoneycroft, Worsthorne at 11.17am today. We sent an ambulance and we are still on the scene at the moment."