A MAN has been arrested on suspicion of arson after a flat fire in Accrington on Sunday night.

Two crews from Hyndburn fire station and another from Blackburn were called to St Leger Court at 7.47pm on Sunday.

The road was closed while emergency services helped to rescue a man and a guinea pig from the flat.

Firefighters were at the scene for two hours.

A Lancashire Fire Service spokesman said: “We got a call from a woman who believed someone was trapped in the flat as the fire was in the entrance hall.

“Firefighters rescued the person and got into the flat using the breathing apparatus.

“Paramedics helped with the smoke inhalation and shock and the man was taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital.

“There was also a guinea pig rescued.

“The police also attended the scene and it is being treated as suspicious.”

One neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous said: “I was told that the man had been down the pub and had come back and then his flat entrance was on fire.

“It was a shock seeing all of the fire engines and police there.

“They had shut the road and I think the man was still in hospital.

“I am just glad no-one was seriously hurt as it could have been so much worse.

“I saw a cage outside and was worried as I know he has a guinea pig but I was just hoping it was alright.

“The good thing is that someone told me fires will not travel between the floors or affect any other properties.

“It is quite a good street and area we don’t see things like this here.”

A spokesman for Lancashire Police said: “A 29-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson and is still in police custody.

”There is not believed to have been any serious damage or injuries suffered.”