A 40-YEAR-OLD man has been left fighting for his life after jumping from a taxi in Burnley.

Police were called at around 2:10am on Sunday following reports of a serious incident on the A682, Church Street, near to Active Way.

The man, from Brierfield, was resuscitated at the scene and taken to Royal Preston Hospital where he remains in a critical condition.

Officers said he was a passenger in a Toyota Avensis private hire taxi and had jumped out.

The Lancashire Telegraph understands the taxi driver helped treat the man until paramedics arrived.

Sgt Marc Glass said: “An investigation is underway following a serious incident in Burnley.

“A man has suffered life-threatening injuries and our thoughts are with the man and his family at this difficult time.

“We are appealing to anyone who witnessed the incident and has not yet spoken with police to come forward."

His family are being supported by specially trained officers.

The road was closed for two hours for collision investigation work.

Firefighters were also called to the scene to help administer first aid.

Earlier, a police spokesman said: "A couple of people had been in a taxi driving along when one passenger was having an argument with the driver.

"The man then got out of the moving vehicle and suffered serious head injuries.

"An investigation is ongoing into what happened.

"There is nothing to suggest the taxi driver has done anything wrong.

"The man jumped out."

In a separate incident two hours earlier a man and a woman were hit by a car in nearby Yorkshire Street.

Officers said they were called to the street in Burnley at around 12.30am on Sunday after reports a man and a woman in their 30s had been hit by a white Fiat Panda.

The woman sufferd a serious head injury and the man suffered injuries to his shoulder, elbow and ankle.

They were both taken to Royal Preston Hospital where they remain in a serious but stable condition.

The driver of the vehicle, a 22-year-old man from Burnley, stopped at the scene and was arrested on suspicion of drink driving.

A police spokesman said: "A man and a woman had walked out in front of a car.

"We've had an accident investigation team at the scene.

"They both have serious but not life threatening injuries.

"A man has been arrested for possessing a positive sample of breath for drink driving."

Yorkshire Street was also closed for several hours due to the incident.

Anyone with any information should contact police on 101.